This is response to David Brooks Op-Ed Column entitled If Not Trump, What ?
- “What are you supposed to do” ? WHAT are you supposed to do ? Are you kidding me ? For starters, I would say Bend Over and Kiss your Butt Goodbye.
- Thank you for finally noticing the pain the country is in. Losing this election is what took you to realize that you’ve been “spending large chunks of my life in the bourgeois strata — in professional circles with people with similar status and demographics to my own.”????? You didn’t notice that after the LAST two elections ?? Suddenly you realize we have poverty and homelessness and alienation ?
- We need a Ladder of Hope ? Are you kidding me ? What are you smoking ?
- “We’ll probably need a new national story.” Ya think? Horatio Alger isn’t working for you anymore ? There’s a shock.
- “But that story isn’t working for people anymore, especially for people who think the system is rigged.” The implication is that the system ISN’T rigged—they just think it is. That is making me laugh so hard ! It is so absurd.
- “We’ll also need to rebuild the sense that we’re all in this together.” Oh let’s sing Kumbaya too” Please. This isn’t a Schlitz beer commercial from the ’70s, Mr. Brooks. Really ? We’re all in this together ? (How about you only go around once also?)
- Yes –we’ll need a “communitarianism”. Yes, of course. The needs of the many outweigh the the needs of the few. Yes Thank you Mr Spock. And thank you Mr. Brooks for noticing that the gap between rich and poor is off the charts. Communitarianism. Right. You are aware that between the Trump supporters who will think you are talking about Communism and the rest of the conservatives living on their own islands that no one will even look that up to see what it used to mean.
- “Then solidarity can be rekindled nationally.” Is this when we sing Kumbaya ? Solidarity ? The Republican Party using the Word Solidarity ? IS this an attempt at humor ? Right On ? All Power to the People ? Workers of the World Unite ? Please tell me you have been abducted by E.T.s and replaced by one of them WHO HASN’T BEEN here the last 100 years ? If not, what planet are you sending this in from ?
9. the NASA project ? You mean the Moon Landing in 1969 ? THAT “NASA project” ?
10. OK- enough. Here’s what is going to happen. Your people are going to nominate Herr Drumpf. YOUR people are going to splinter. The other party is going to nominate Clinton. She is going to be elected whether anyone really wants to or not, just because the system IS as broken as you know it is. A lot of people will NOT vote because as you must have noticed, most people don’t want ANY of the candidates. If your name was None of the above you would win in a landslide. Life will go on. Prisons will remain full. Violence and Crime will continue. Substance abuse will continue. Education will continue to be broken. State created (by the USA) will terrorism will continue both foreign and domestic. As you noticed, suicide will continue to rise. Our infrastructure will continue to decline. The rich will get richer and the poor will continue to get children. Climate Change will not be addressed. Mental Illness will not be addressed meaningfully. International crises will continue to overpower everyone from wars, famines, plagues and as Bill Murray said “Cats and Dogs living together”. Plastic will continue to clog our oceans. The world economy will bump along despite all of that somehow. Unless there is an epic disaster.
YOUR only hope is an epic catastrophe. The San Andreas fault destroys Los Angeles. The North Koreans smuggle a Nuke into New York City. The CDC or Ft Detrick lose containment (or get robbed) and something gets loose that is so deadly that we lose millions of people. An asteroid hits Washington DC. An abrupt climate change actually occurs and takes out our northern states with devastating cold. A spectacular drought occurs and destroys our agriculture. Nuclear War would be a good one. Those things would cause what you want. Those things have a very low chance of happening. I am sure you have read The Project for the New American Century white paper written by Kristol, Kagan, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz et al. They came to the same conclusion that the American people would not rally and have solidarity without a new Pearl Harbor. Well, the attack card was already played. The people responded as predicted and we are starting to get somewhat disengaged from the whole NYC, Pentagon, Iraq, Afghanistan thing that evolved. Granted we stirred up a hornet’s nest and we will have to deal with the remaining bunch of very angry people whose countries we trashed but that will probably be managed.
In other words, not much is going to change. Congress will continue to be bought. People will continue to be anesthetized by smart phones, television, and video games. Air pollution, water pollution will continue to poison us. And if you keep writing columns like this, well…I predict you are going to be unemployed. I can’t believe the New York Times published this. The only way I can explain it is that this is some kind of test to see if anyone reads your columns.